Newport & Neighbourhood
St. Woolos, Pillgwenlly, Christchurch, Maindee and part of Nash
(A description written in 1891)
See also Christchurch
A Port, County Borough, Market Town, Head of a Petty Sessional division, Union and County Court District, Parliamentary and Municipal Borough, comprising the old Borough and parts of the Parishes of ST. WOOLOS, CHRISTCHURCH, and MAINDEE and NASH;
It has a first-class station on the Great Western (South Wales) line, 158.1/2 miles from London by rail and 148 by road, 23 south-west from Monmouth, 12 north-east from Cardiff, 17.1/2 south-west from Chepstow, 45.1/2 east from Swansea, 44.1/2 south-west from Gloucester, 40 south-west from Hereford; in the Southern division of the county, Hundred of Wentloog, rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.
Newport is seated on the river Usk, 4 miles from its junction with the river Severn. A stone bridge of five arches, erected in the year 1800, by David Edwards and his two sons, and widened and improved in 1866, crosses the river Usk in a line with the High Street and near the old castle.
The Great Western railway station in High Street (where the whole of the passenger traffic is now concentrated) is on the Gloucester & South Wales branch. In addition to this service, the Bristol & South Wales Union, via the Severn Tunnel (opened December 1st 1886, having been thirteen years in formation), the Monmouthshire Eastern and Western Valleys lines, the Great Western in connection with the L. and N.W. railway to Hereford and the North, the Brecon & Merthyr line and the L. and N.W. railway (Sirhowy branch) - all run into Newport. About 125 passengers trains arrive and depart during the day. The Pontypridd, Caerphilly & Newport railway, opened in 1887, unites the Port of Newport with the celebrated coal district of the Rhondda Valley.
Newport was anciently called Novus Burgus, or New Town, to distinguish it from the ancient Caerleon; it was also called Castell Newydd, or Newcastle, because Robert, Earl of Gloucester, a natural son of Henry I. erected a castle here to defend his possessions: from him it descended through many noble families till it became the property of Edward, Duke of Buckingham, on whose execution the castle and the lordship were both seized by King Henry VIII. Several towers and some of the walls of the castle are still remaining on the edge of the river, and have been converted into a brewery.
Newport in 1839 was the scene of a formidable Chartist Riot, which took place on the morning of Monday, the 4th of November, in that year, under the leadership of Mr. John Frost (an ex-magistrate), and his son, Master Frost, with Jones of Pontypool, Zephaniah Williams and J. Llewellyn; 10,000 miners from the collieries and mines in the neighbourhood, armed with pikes, guns, swords and clubs, met in front of the Westgate Hotel, where the magistrates, with a few soldiers of the 45th Regiment of Foot, and several constables were assembled; the rioters having attacked the house, fired on the magistrates and wounded the Mayor Mr.Thomas Phillips; the troops at length returned the fire and shot about twenty of the miners dead, dispersing the rest; the town soon afterwards became tranquil, and Mr. Frost and others being captured were tried and convicted and sentenced to death; the sentence was however subsequently commuted to penal servitude, and a pardon was granted in 1856.
Newport and Monmouth, both corporate Towns, together with Usk, a small market Town, are contributory to the Monmouth Parliamentary District of Boroughs, and the return of one member to Parliament. Newport is divided into 12 polling districts, and contains about 6,325 out of a total of 7,381 voters in the united Boroughs. The first Charter of Incorporation was given to Newport in the reign of Richard II; it was confirmed in the reign of Henry VI and a new one obtained from James I: the Borough is now governed by a mayor, 10 aldermen and 32 councillors; the Corporation being also the Urban Sanitary Authority, acting under the "Public Health Act."
In 1889 MAINDEE was incorporated with Newport, and the Borough is divided into Central, East, North, South and Maindee Wards, and has a commission of the peace. The Local Government Board have recently decided to constitute the borough a County Borough under section 54 of the "Local Government Act, 1888."
The Water Undertaking was acquired by the Corporation in June, 1888, at a cost of £278,000, and the town, together with Caerleon and Rogerstone are supplied by gravitation from a reservoir called "Ynis-y-Bro," very beautifully situated in a district about 2.1/2 from the town and known by the name of "Little Switzerland;" It covers more than 20 acres and is 40 feet deep in the deepest part, and contains 82 million gallons; a settling reservoir, containing 36 million gallons, was constructed above this in 1883. A large reservoir called "Pant-yr-Eos" is situated 5.1/2 miles distant, in the parish of Henllys; it covers 15 acres and is 84 feet deep in the deepest part, and contains 145 million gallons; the principal supply is derived from springs, the water yielded by which is very pure; fishing is allowed in the reservoirs by ticket - price 21s. yearly.
The Town is lighted with gas by the Newport Gas Company, incorporated in 1830, with an authorised capital of £150,000, the present subscribed capital is £109,772. 16s. 7d. with borrowing powers up to £37,500; the works and offices are in Mill Street, but new works have recently (1891) been erected on a site of 20 acres at Crindau.
PLACES OF WORSHIP:
The old parish church of ST. WOOLOS, Stow Hill, until about the year 1836, was the only church for the inhabitants of Newport. It is an ancient building of stone, originally Norman, but largely added to in the 15th Century: it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the church was extensively repaired in the year 1855 and in 1884, handsome brass communion rails and a fine eagle lectern were added; it has 700 sittings, 200 being free: contiguous to the west end of the church, and between it and the the tower, is a building of considerable size and ancient date, occupying the site of the original British church. The register of Baptisms and Burials dates from the year 1702; Marriages, 1754. The living is a vicarage, yearly tithe rent- charge £203, with 7 acres of glebe, net income £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1882 by the Ven. William Conybeare Bruce M.A. of University College, Oxford, F.R.A.S.., Archdeacon of Monmouth and canon residentary of Llandaff Cathedral.
ST. LUKE’s Church, in Bridge Street, is a small cruciform building of stone consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and west porch; it is a Chapel of Ease to the mother church of St. Woolos: there are 300 sittings, all free.
ST. PAUL's is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1839; the church which is in Commercial Street, is a modern structure of dressed stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of a chancel, nave, baptistery, porch and a tower with spire containing a clock: the lofty chancel is separated from the nave by a magnificent arch, supported by clustered pillars, and is lighted by three stained lancet memorial windows; the cost of erection and fitting was upwards of £7,000: there are 1,500 sittings, of which about 850 are free. The register dates from the year 1837. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £310 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1855 by the Rev. John Tinson Wrenford M.A., Ph.D of the University of Rostock, local chaplain to the forces, and surrogate.
The Vicarage Hall is situated in the grounds of the Vicarage and is capable of holding about 200 persons; it was built in 1879 and is used for parish meetings, bible classes &c.
PILLGWENLLY is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1864;
HOLY TRINITY Church, in Potter Street, is a building of stone in the Early English style, built in 1848, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a western tower containing 2 bells: there are 640 sittings, of which 308 are free. The register dates from the year 1852. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge commuted at £86, with an additional endowment and pew rents, gross income, £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1885 by the Rev. David Wilks, of Queen's College, Birmingham.
ST. STEPHEN's Church, Pillgwenlly, a Chapel of Ease to HOLY TRINITY, is a building of stone in the Early English style, erected in 1884, consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles with gable transept, a baptistery and a western turret containing one bell: there are 450 sittings. The Rev. Joshua Davies is curate in charge.
ST. MARK's is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1875. The church, consecrated in 1874, and situated in Gold Tops, is a building of stone in the Early English Perpendicular style and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north, south and west porches, and a tower 122 feet high, with richly crocketed pinnacles: the west, or tower porch, containing stairs to the organ gallery, is separated from the nave by an elegant traceried screen: there are sittings for 650 persons, of which 450 are free: the cost of erection and fitting was £6,000. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value, chiefly furnished by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Thomas Llewellyn Lister M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford. The population of this parish in 1881 was 6,178.
ST. JOHN the EVANGELIST, MAINDEE, is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1860 out of the parish of Christ Church; the church, situated in Kensington Place, Maindee, is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an unfinished tower containing one bell: there are 570 sittings, of which 240 are free: three costly memorial windows in memory of Messrs. Rennie, Logan and Firbank, who resided in this parish, have been placed in this church. The register dates from the year 1861. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £100, net yearly value £275, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1888 by the Rev. James Swinnerton.
ST JOHN the BAPTIST'S Mission Church, Stow Hill. Rev. J. Frank Summers, curate.
ST. ANDREW's Mission Church, Liswerry, erected in 1882, at a cost of £600, on a site presented by the late W.G. Cartwright Esq. J.P., is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave and western bell turret containing one bell: there are 250 sittings, all free; the Rev. Howell Jenkins is the curate in charge.
ST. MATTHEW's Mission Church, Barnard Town, in an iron building, erected in 1882 at a cost of £400, on a site granted by Lord Tredegar; it has sittings for 300; and is about to be removed to St. Julian's Estate, on a site given by C. Firbank Esq. and a new stone church erected in its stead to seat 500 persons; the Rev. Thomas A. Davies is the curate in charge.
ST. MARK's Mission Church, Marshes Road, is a stone building, erected in 1883, at a cost of £600: there are 250 free sittings.
ST. MARY's Catholic Church, Stow Hill, erected in 1840, at a cost of £5,000, is a building of stone in the Early English style, with large square tower with pinnacles, containing 8 bells and chimes: there are 600 sittings. Rev. Dominic Cavalli, Rev. Michael Bailey, Rev. Richard Richardson & Rev. Alfred C. Knight, priests.
ST. MICHAEL the ARCHANGEL Catholic Church, Clarence Street, Pill, is a stone building, erected in 1888 at a cost of £4,000, and has about 300 sittings. Rev. Michael Bailey, priest.
The JEWISH SYNAGOGUE is in Francis Street, and has 150 sittings. Rev. Moses Berlin Ph.D, and Rev. Max Schulman, readers.
ENGLISH BAPTIST CHAPELS:
Commercial Street, was erected in 1829 and has 1,000 sittings. Rev. Owen Dean Campbell, minister.
Commercial Road, with 900 sittings, erected in 1863. Rev. Benjamin Thomas.
Stow Hill, with 1,000 sittings, erected in 1860. Rev. Harry Abraham, minister.
Charles Street, with 500 sittings, erected in 1817. Rev. Daniel Davis, minister.
WELSH BAPTIST CHAPELS:
The Temple, Commercial Road, with 900 sittings, erected in 1843. Rev. E. Gurnos-Jones, minister.
St. Mary Street, with 600 sittings, erected in 1868. Rev. Charles Ayliffe, minister.
Summer Hill, Maindee, with 600 sittings, erected in 1862. Rev. George H. Cook, minister.
Alexandra Road, Pill, with about 400 sittings, erected in 1884.
(Bethel) Duckpool Road, Barnard Town, with 800 sittings. Rev. A.F. Jones, minister.
PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHAPELS:
Upper Alma Street, was erected in 1874 and has 500 sittings. Rev. John Pardoe Thomas, minister.
Portland Street, erected in 1877, to seat 200.
Lime Street, erected in 1877, to seat 200.
The BIBLE CHRISTIAN CHAPEL:
Commercial Road, erected in 1883, at a cost of about £1,700, is a building of Newbridge stone, with Bath stone dressings, in the Romanesque style, and has about 600 sittings. Rev. Richard Squire, minister.
Mill Street. Rev. George Hall, minister.
Dock Street, erected in 1814, with about 1,400 sittings. Rev. E. Waldron Skinner, minister.
Victoria Road, erected in 1857. Rev. T. Anthony B.A., minister.
Kensington Hall, Hereford Street. Rev. Harri Bevan, minister.
TABERNACLE CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL:
Commercial Street, was erected in 1822, and is now (1891) about to be rebuilt.
MOUNT ZION WELSH CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL:
Hill Street, erected in 1834 and rebuilt in 1873, it has 450 sittings. Rev. John Griffiths, minister.
The PRESBYTERIAN CHAPEL is in Havelock Street.
The PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL, Station Street, was rebuilt in 1881 and has 650 sittings. Rev. Joseph Squires, minister.
UNITED METHODIST FREE CHURCH:
Hill Street (rebuilt in 1850 to seat about 100). Rev. Samuel Saxon Barton, minister.
Portland Street, Pillgwenlly, with 200 sittings. Rev. J.T. Shaw, minister.
Commercial Road, erected in 1849, has 600 sittings. Rev. John Brewer Every, minister.
Stow Hill (opened June 26th 1884). Rev. John Gibson, minister.
Victoria Avenue, Maindee. Rev. Henry Wostenholm, minister.
Wesleyan Methodist (Mission), Marshes Road, erected about 1879 to seat 450. John Hoskins, missionary
Barnard Town, with 350 sittings.
Archibald Street, Maindee, opened Jan. 1st 1891, with 150 sittings.
Wesleyan Methodist (Mission), Price Street, Pillgwenlly, to seat 300. Mr.Long, missionary.
Gordon Street Mission Room - A.H. Jenkins, lay reader.
WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, Commercial Street, erected in 1829. Rev. David H. Williams, minister.
CHRISTIAN BRETHREN MEETING ROOM,
Duckpool Road, Maindee.
The BETHEL CHAPEL in in Temple Street.
The FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE is in Charles Street.
CEMETERY, Newport & St. Woollos General, on the Basalleg Road, opened in 1854, has an area of 32 acres, the whole inclosed with a stone wall: there are three Chapels for the Church of England, Catholics and Nonconformists, and a mortuary. The old cemetery on Stow Hill, behind St. Woollos Church, is now entirely disused. The cemetery is under the control of a Burial Board of 10 members.
A School Board of 11 members was formed in 1871 for the United District of Newport & St.Woollos and in 1889 a Board, now consisting of 17 members was formed for the Newport School District, consisting of the extended borough of Newport and the extra-municipal portions of Christchurch & St. Woollos.
Alexandra Board School, Pillgwenlly, erected in 1882, for 960 children: average attendance, 290 boys, 387 girls, 289 infants; Richard L. Davies, master; Miss Mary A, Rowland, mistress; Mrs. L. Jones, infants' mistress.
Alteryn Board School, erected in 1880, for 115 children (mixed and infants); average attendance, 42; Miss S.E. Farquhar, mistress
Barnard Town Board School, erected in 1881, for 550 children; average attendance, 189 boys, 142 girls & 208 infants; Mr. A. Morris, head master; Miss Chambers, mistress; Miss Workham, infants' mistress.
Bolt Street Board School, erected in 1885, for 224 boys, 194 girls & 207 infants; average attendance, 165 boys, 147 girls & 155 infants; Thomas Davis, master; Miss A.L. Johns, mistress; Mrs. Davis, infants' mistress. Evening Science & Art Classes are held in connection with this school; Thomas Davis, master.
Central Board School (Powell's Place), (mixed), for 210 children; average attendance, 86; Mrs. Mary E, Prosser, mistress.
Chepstow Road, Maindee Board School erected in 1866, for 273 boys, 233 girls and 237 infants; average attendance, 239 boys, 209 girls & 194 infants; Philip G. Gale, master; Mrs. E.A. Richards, mistress; Miss E. Morley, infants' mistress.
Eveswell Board School, Maindee, erected in 1889, doe 215 boys, 215 girls & 244 infants; average attendance, 115 boys, 88 girls & 100 infants; F. Pinkard, master; Miss B. Ward, mistress; Miss E. Whitmarsh, infants' mistress.
Lliswerry Board School, (mixed), erected for 195 children; average attendance, 141; William Blatchly, master.
Marshes Road Board School, built in 1880, for 237 boys, 183 girls & 210 infants; average attendance, 200 boys, 165 girls & 219 infants; William Harrington, master; Miss E. Hawkes, mistress; Mrs. Mary Ann Harrington, infants' mistress.
Spring Gardens School, large & handsome schools recently taken over by the Board, will accommodate 300 boys, 300 girls and 395 infants, but are at present used as a mixed & infants school; Miss E. Joshua, mistress; Miss E. Sheppard, infants' mistress.
Stow Hill Board School, a stone building of very handsome exterior erected in 1856 and enlarged in 1889 to now accommodate 280 boys, 238 girls & 240 infants; average attendance, 210 boys, 205 girls & 150 infants; Edward Job Smith, master; Miss Mary Jones, mistress; Miss Bessie Marrington, infants' mistress. A Cookery centre for the use of all the elementary schools in the town has been recently erected adjacent to this school.
St Woolos School, St. Mary Street, erected in 1873 and enlarged in 1890 to accommodate 898; average attendance, 215 boys, 198 girls & 225 infants; Joseph Chas, Brook, master; Mrs. Annie Cooper, mistress; Miss Leah Pitson, infants' mistress.
Commercial Street School, erected in 1839, for 600 children; average attendance, 179 boys, 157 girls & 135 infants; Francis Vernon, master; Miss Harriet Williams, mistress; Miss Evans, infants' mistress.
Pillgwenlly School, Temple Street, erected for boys, girls & infants; William Richards, master; Church Street; Miss E.A. Wilson, mistress; Miss H. Porter, infants' mistress.
Tredegar Wharf School, William Street, built in 1873, for 700 children; average attendance, 360 boys & girls & 276 infants; Miss S.A. Street, mistress; Miss Mary Ann May, infants' mistress.
St. Mary's School. Stow Hill, erected in 1845, for 340 children; average attendance, 100 boys, 110 girls; Michael Burke, master; Sister Perpetua, mistress.
Holy Cross School, Lower Cross Street, erected in 1874, for 100 boys & girls & 130 infants; average attendance, 90 boys & girls & 125 infants; Sister Alfonse, mistress; Miss Eleanor Parry, infants' mistress.
St. Mary's School, Stow Hill, (infants), erected in 1857, for 100 infants; average attendance, 90; Sister Winifred, mistress.
St. Michael's School, High Street, Pill, established about 1875, for 320 boys & girls and 220 infants; average attendance 260 boys & girls & 220 infants; Miss Ida R. Baker, mistress; Miss Agnes Roe, infants' mistress.
The TOWN HALL, Commercial Street, opened in 1885. it has one frontage on Commercial Street, another to Dock Street and a third to Austin Friars: the Town Clerk's and Town Surveyor's offices, together with an elegant clock tower, are on the Commercial Street front of the building, as also are the Commercial News rooms and a convenient Committee room: in the central portion is the POLICE COURT with the Assembly Room over it; on the Dock Street side is the POLICE STATION, with the Chief Constable's office and twelve cells and an attendant's dwelling; also offices for the Cemetery Clerk and the Inspector of Weights & Measures: the Magistrates' clerk's rooms, Committee rooms, Mayor's Parlour and Council Chamber occupy the upper portion of the Dock Street frontage, whilst offices for the Waterworks Department, Borough Treasurer and the Rate Collector complete the frontage in Austin Friars. There are also Police Branch Stations at Pillgwenlly and Maindee.
The COUNTY COUNCIL OFFICES, in Pentonville, erected in 1885-6 is a plain stone building, comprising offices for the Chairman, Clerk and Surveyor, with a Police Station attached, having cells and living quarters for a sergeant and 3 constables; at rear of which is the Court House, where Petty Sessions are held every Saturday at 12 noon.
The CUSTOM HOUSE is in Dock Street.
NEWPORT UNION, The Workhouse, Stow Hill
Board Day, Saturday, at 12 noon, at the Workhouse
The Elliott Home for Seamen, in Temple Street, (Mrs. G.J. Beer, superintendent), with an institute and modern church attached for the seafaring population, with residence for the chaplain, (Rev. William W. Garry), established and maintained under the auspices of the Mission to Seamen Society. There is also a branch institute, in Ruperra Street, opened Jan 18th 1887, comprising reading rooms, billiards, bagatelle and other games &c. open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
St. John the Baptist Mission House, Stow Hill, Sister Selina, Congreve in charge
The Newport Volunteer Fire Brigade, established May 1884, occupies temporary premises in Dock Street, near the Town Hall, and has steam engine, manual, fire escape, ladders &c: hose reels &c. are also kept at Pillgwenlly and Maindee; there is a reading-room at the back for the use of the mambers.
The Market Hall, a modern structure of stone and iron in Market Street, with a back entrance in Griffin Street, was erected in 1865, at a cost of £8,000, and was almost entirely rebuilt by the Corporation of Newport in 1889, at a cost of £43,000, after having purchased the right of levying tolls from the Duke of Beaufort: it now has on the ground floor 139 lock-up stalls, with a gallery three parts round, for butter, poultry &c, and a handsome frontage with shops in Dock Street.
The Barracks, in Barracks Road above Gold Tops, can be used either by Infantry or Cavalry, and are at present occupied by the 10th Mounted Battery Royal Artillery, numbering 120 men. The 1st Monmouthshire Artillery Volunteer Brigade Western Division Royal Artillery have a Drill Hall in East Market Street. The 2nd Volunteer Battalion South Wales Borderers have head quarters in Dock Street, and D, E, & F Companies of the 4th Volunteer Battalion have head quarters in Caroline Street.
The Newport & County Infirmary, on Stow Hill, was established as a Dispensary in 1839, and an Infirmary in 1867: it was enlarged in 1883 and a children's ward erected in 1887, at a cost of over £2,000, and now contains 50 beds; the average number of in-patients being 400 and of out-patients about 7.000.
H.M. Brewer L.R.C.P.Lond, Consulting Surgeon.
Benjamin Davies M.D., Reginald E.W. Brewer L.R.C.P.Lond, O.E.B. Marsh L.R. C.P. Edin, J.T. Thomas L.R.C.P.Irel., A.W. Loveridge & W. Bassett L.R.C.P. Lond., surgeons;
Charles Stanser Bowker L.R.C.P.Edin, Resident Medical Officer;
J.K. Stone, Sec;
Miss M .Flood, Matron.
The Almshouses, on Stow Hill, were erected and endowed by Roger Williams Esq. in 1700, for six females, and were rebuilt in 1845.
The Albert Hall, Stow Hill, is a building of brick capable of seating 1,000 persons and used for lectures, concerts and other entertainments.
The Victoria Assembly Rooms, Bridge Street will seat about 2,000 people and licensed as a theatre with first-class companies appearing weekly throughout the season. Mr. James Rowe is the lesee.
The New Theatre (late Gaiety), with hotel attached, Charles Street, lighted entirely by electricity will hold 1,100 persons; D.E. Humphreys is the proprietor.
The Temperance Hall (Philips Memorial), in Dock Street. consisting of a large hall capable of seating 1,000 persons, let for concerts, lectures, meetings &c: on the ground floor are the County Court Offices, while on the floor above are the offices of the Newport School Board.
The Post Office:
A spacious building in High Street, is near the Great Western Railway Station, William Gill, postmaster. The chief Telegraph Office is in Dock Street, Philip Smith, superintendent. There are receiving offices in: Commercial Street; Commercial Road, Pillgwenlly; Dock Street; Alexandra Dock; Maindee; Stow Park; & Marshes Road. There are also twenty pillar letter boxes throughout the town and suburbs.
The Free Library, Dock Street, was established in the year 1870 under the Free Libraries Act. The library numbers about 17,374 volumes and the issue of books for 1890 was 83,666 volumes; number of borrowers, 4,042. A small museum has been established in connection with this institution, and forms a considerable source of attraction, the South Kensington [Museum] Department having sent on loan a large proportion of the objects on view, the remainder being contributed locally. Branch Reading Rooms at: Temple Street, Pillgwenlly; Chepstow Road, Maindee (opened March 1st 1890). The Commercial Reading Rooms are in the Town Hall, in Commercial Street, and are open to members only, who pay a subscription of 25s. yearly: the latest publications and periodicals, together with the London and provincial newspapers, are regularly supplied.
The Corn Exchange, in High Street, was built by public subscription in 1878, at a cost of £5,000, as a memorial to the late Lord Tredegar: the market is held every Wednesday from 2.30 to 4 p.m.
The Coal & Metal Trades Exchange is held in the Assembly Room at the Town Hall, Commercial Street, every Wednesday from 12.30 to 2 p.m.
The Cattle Market, in Tredegar Street, Commercial Road, and John Street, Dock Street, built in 1844, occupies an area of five acres: there are lairs for 600 cattle, 2,000 sheep and 1,000 pigs, stabling for 31 horses, covered stalls for 220 cattle: the market day is every Wednesday: Cattle Fairs take place on the second Wednesday in April, the first Wednesday in Whitsun week, the second Wednesday in August and the first Wednesday in November. A Wool Fair is held 23rd June, and a Cattle and Poultry Show on the 28th & 29th of November.
The Provision Market is held on Saturday in the new market house, near the High Street and is well supplied with neat, poultry, butter, eggs, vegetables and other articles. A Cheese Market is held in the new market house every Wednesday, and is well attended.
The Newport Corporation Baths, on Stow Hill, opened on the 19th June, 1890, by the Mayor, Mark Mordey Esq. and erected at a cost of £11,000. comprise two swimming baths, each 75 feet long by 25 feet wide, graduating in depth from 3 feet 6 inches at the upper end to 7 feet at the deepest part, and 16 ladies' and gentlemen's private slipper baths; also vapour and Turkish baths, the latter having recently been much improved.
The National Provincial Bank of England Limited, at the corner of High Street and Tredegar Place, now (1891) being rebuilt.
The London and Provincial Bank Limited, Commercial Street.
The County of Gloucester Bank Limited, now being erected at the corner of High Street and Skinner Street.
The National Bank of Wales Limited, Commercial Street.
Lloyd's Bank Limited, Commercial Street.
The Bristol and West of England Bank Limited, Commercial Street.
The Westgate, Commercial Street.
The Kings Head, High Street
The Queen's Hotel, Bridge Street.
Locke's (Temperance Hotel), Dock Street.
Morrish's (Temperance Hotel), Pentonville.
"The Monmouthshire Merlin", Queen's Buildings, Jackson & Co, publishers; published Friday.
"South Wales Daily Times" & "Star of Gwent". 144 Commercial Street. William Nicholas Johns, proprietor and publisher.
"South Wales Daily & Weekly Telegraph". Queen's Buildings, Edward Dobbins, proprietor; weekly editions, Friday.
"Western Mail" branch office at 4 Tredegar Place. Jn. Jopkins, local manager; published daily.
"South Wales Daily News" branch office at Tredegar Place
Brecon & Merthyr Railway, Offices 34 Bridge Street; Alfred Henshaw, General manager; F.H. Shepherd, Accountant; C.H. Thomas, Engineer. 1 Queen's Buildings.
Great Western Railway Passenger Station, High Street: Henry Lewis, station master;
Goods Depot, High Street: George Jenkins, Goods agent.
Great Western Railway Co. Goods Depot, Dock Street:
George Henry Russell, Goods Agent; Thomas Parry, station master;
The undermentioned lines run through this station:
Great Western Co. (Eastern & Western Valleys sections), North Western Co., London & North Western Co. (Sirhowy Branch), Brecon & Merthyr Company.
To Bristol: Bristol & Newport Screw Steam Packet Co.'s steamer, daily (T. Mitchell, proprietor), Beaufort wharf.
To Cork: The Cork Steam Packet Co. (James Maddock, agent), every Wednesday, taking in goods for Belfast & Glasgow, near Alexandra Dock.
Brecon: Henry Davies' Barge, weekly from Burton's wharf.
Crumlin: Mrs. David Jones' Barge, Monday & Thursday, 2 p.m. from Burton's wharf.
To London & All Parts: Henry William Morrish, Pentonville
Tramways & Omnibuses:
The Newport Tramway Co. Limited: run cars every few minutes from the Westgate Hotel to the end of Commercial Road, fare 1d.
E. Perry & Sons' Omnibuses: ply to & from the Queen's Hotel, Tredegar Place to Maindee every ten minutes, fare 1d.
THE PORT OF NEWPORT
Defined by Treasury Warrant under "Customs Act, 1846," extends from Redwick Pill (limits of Chepstow) to Rumney river (limit of Cardiff), and to the middle of the Severn river. Fishing boats and implements belonging to the port to be distinguished by the letters N.T.
The Old Docks at Pillgwenlly, opened 10th October, 1842, and enlarged in 1858, cover an area of about 12 acres, with a lock 220 feet in length, 61 feet in width and a depth of water 26 feet, and cost nearly £300,000. There are erected five coal staithes, each capable of shipping 1,000 tons a day; also numerous cranes for the discharge of ballast, iron ore, pitwood &c. all worked by hydraulic power: the end of the dock is used as a timber slip. On the 1st Jan. 1884, the Docks were placed under the management of The Alexandra Dock Co.
The Alexandra Docks, opened April 13th, 1875, cover an area of 28.3/4 acres, with a large graving dock of 515 feet in length, leading therefrom. The area of land appropriated for quays, yards, warehouses, is 210 acres; for deposit of ballast, 93 acres. The lock, which is lighted by electricity, is 350 feet in length and 65 feet in width; average depth at neap tides 25 feet, spring tides 35 feet. There is attached to the Docks a timber float of 10 acres with an average depth of water of 8 feet. The quantity of land acquired for the extension of dock accommodation now in progress is 213 acres.
Shipments from Newport in 1890 (in tons)
Coal to Foreign ports: 1,967,014
Coal Coastwise: 792,778
Iron to Foreign ports: 115,985.1/2
Coke to Foreign ports: 1,922
Imports in 1890
Timber -Total Loads: 200,428
Iron Ore Imports: 792,806 Tons
The other chief imports include phosphates, 6,832 tones; maize, barley &c 1,211 tons' silver sand, 3,006 tons; and moss litter, 830 tons.
Vessels and Tonnage registered in the Port on 31st Dec 1883: 109 Vessels, Tonnage - 26,284;
and on 31st Dec. 1889: 115 Vessels, Tonnage - 36,437.
Foundries, steam engine and boiler works; Anchor, chain, chain cables and nail factories; Shipbuilding establishments; Dry Docks for the repair of shipping; Railway plant and railway wagons; Chemical manures and agricultural implements are all manufactured here. There is also a Glass works at Crindau; Pottery works at Pillgwenlly and Crindau; Lime works at Liswerry; Flour mills, breweries and maltings; Bricks are also made in the neighbourhood.
The area of the Municipal Borough, as extended by the Corporation Act, 1889, is 4,924 acres; rateable value, £247,327; the rateable value of the parishes is:
St. Woollos: £144,075
The population of the ecclesiastical districts of Newport in 1881 was 33,392, divided as follows:
St. Woollos: 7,285 (including 287 in workhouse and 104 in the Barracks)
St. Paul's: 9,434
Holy Trinity: 11,095
St. Mark's: 6,118
MAINDEE, on the east side of the river Usk, was incorporated with the borough in 1889; the area is 1,926 acres;
the population in 1881 was 5,483.
The population of the Municipal Borough in 1881 was 35,313; of the Parliamentary Borough, 38,427
(extracts from Kelly's 1891 Directory of Monmouthshire, transcribed by J. Doe)
Here is a slideshow of mostly old Newport postcards
Aberbargoed • Aberbeeg • Abercarn • Abergavenny • Abersychan • Abertillery (also see Aberystruth) • Aberystruth • Basseleg • Bettws (near Llantillio Pertholey) • Bettws (near Newport) • Bettws Newydd • Bishton • Blackwood • Blaenavon • Blaina • Briery Hill • Bryngwyn • Bwlch Trewyn • Caerleon or Llangattock-Juxta-Caerleon (see Christchurch for Caerleon Village) • Caerwent • Caldicot • Castleton • Cefnycrib • Chapel Hill • Chepstow • Christchurch (also see Newport) • Clawrplwyf • Coedkernew • Coed y Paen • Crick • Croesyceiliog • Cross Ash • Cross Keys • Crosshands • Crumlin (also see Llanhilleth & Mynyddislwyn) • Cwm (also see Ebbw Vale) • Cwmavon (also see Trevethin) • Cwmbran (also see Llanvihangel Llantarnam & Llanfrechfa) • Cwmcarn • Cwmcarvan • Cwmffrwdoer • Cwmnantddu • Cwmtillery (also see Aberystruth) • Cwmynyscoy • Cwmyoy • Devauden • Dewstow • Dingestow • Dinham • Dixton Newton • Duffryn • Earlswood • Ebbw Vale • Fleur-de-Lys • Freehold • Garndiffaith (also see Trevethin) • Garndyrris • Garnfach • Gellygroes • Glascoed • Goldcliff • Golynos • Govilon • Goytre • Graig • Griffithstown (also see Llanfrechfa & Panteg) • Grosmont • Gwehelog • Gwernesney • Hardwick • Henllys • High Cross • Highmoor Hill • Howick • Ifton • Itton • Kemeys Commander • Kemeys Inferior • Kilgwrrwg • Langstone • Little Mill • Llanarth • Llanbadoc • Llanbedr • Llandavenny • Llandewi Fach • Llanddewi Rhydderch • Llanddewi Skirrid • Llandegveth • Llandenny • Llandevaud • Llandogo • Llanellen • Llanfaeneor • Llanfair Discoed • Llanfair Gilgoed • Llanfair Kilgeddin • Llanfihangel Crucorney • Llanfihangel Gobion • Llanfihangel juxta Roggiett • Llanfihangel Llantarnam • Llanfihangel nigh Usk • Llanfihangel Pont y Moile • Llanfihangel Tafernbach • Llanfihangel Tor y Mynydd • Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern • Llanfihangel y Vedw • Llanfoist • Llanfrechfa • Llangattock • Lingoed • Llangattock nigh Usk • Llangattock Vibon Avel • Llangeview • Llangibby • Llangoven • Llangua • Llangwm Ishaf & Llangwm Uchaf • Llanhennock • Llanhilleth • Llanishen • Llanllowell • Llanmartin • Llanover • Llanrumney • Llansantffraed • Llansoy • Llanthewy Rytherch • Llanthewy Skirrid • Llanthewy Vach • Llanthomas • Llanthony • Llantillio Crossenny • Llantillio Pertholey • Llantrissent • Llanvaches • Llanvair Discoed • Llanvair Kilgeddin • Llanvapley • Llanvetherine • Llanwenarth Citra • Llanwenarth Ultra • Llanwern • Lliswerry • Llwyndu • Machen (Upper & Lower) • Maes-y-cwmmer • Magor • Maindee (also see Christchurch & Newport) • Malpas • Mamhilad • Marshfield • Mathern (also see St Pierre) • May Hill • Michaelston y Fedw • Mitchel Troy • Monkswood • Monmouth • Mounton • Mynyddbach • Mynyddislwyn • Mynyddmaen • Nantyderry • Nantyglo • Nash • New Town • New Tredegar • Newbridge • Newcastle • Newchurch East & West • Newport • Nightingale Village • Oldcastle • Overmonnow • Panteg • Par Grace Dieu • Pen y Clawdd • Penalt • Penbiddle • Pengam • Penhow • Penmaen • Penpergwm • Penrhos • Penrose • Penterry • Pentrepeod • Penygarn • Penyrheol • Peterstone Wentloog • Pillgwenlly • Ponthir • Pontllanfraith • Pontnewydd (also see Llanfrechfa) • Pontnewynydd • Pontrhydyryn • Pontygof • Pontymister • Pontymoile • Pontypool • Pontywain • Porthcasseg • Portskewett • Pwll Du • Pwllmeyric • Raglan • Redbrook • Redwick • Rhydgwern • Rhymney • Risca • Rock • Rockfield • Rogerstone • Roggiett • Rumney • Runston (also see Mathern) • St Arvans • St Brides Netherwent • St Brides Wentloog • St Kingsmark • St Lawrence • St Maughans • St Mellons • St Pierre (also see Mathern) • St Woolos • Sebastopol (also see Panteg) • Shirenewton • Sirhowy • Six Bells • Skenfrith • Snatchwood • Somerton Common • Sudbrook • Talywain (also see Trevethin) • The Race and Upper Race • Tintern Abbey • Tintern Parva • Tranch • Tredegar • Tredunnock • Tregare • Trellech • Trellech Grange • Trevethin • Treworgan • Trostrey • Undy • Upper Machen • Usk • Varteg • Victoria • Waunlwyd • Whitebrook • Whitson • Wilcrick • Wolvesnewton • Wonastow • Wyesham • Ynysddu
All images unless otherwise credited are © MonGenes and may not be reproduced without permission
© MonGenes 2013