including Abercarn, Clawrplwyf, Cwmcarn, Fleur de Lys, Gellygroes, Mynyddmaen, Newbridge, Penmaen, Pontllanfraith and Ynysddu
(A description written in 1891)
A very large Parish, 170 miles from London, 10 north-west-by-west from Newport, 2 from Abercarn station on the Western Valleys section of the Great Western railway, and 8 west from Pontypool; in the Southern division of the county, Hundred of Wentloog, Petty Sessional division of Bedwelty, Union and County Court district of Newport; Blaenau Gwent division of Abergavenny rural deanery, Monmouth archdeaconry and Llandaff diocese.
It is divided into the Hamlets of Clawrplwyf, Penmaen and Mynyddmaen and includes the villages of:
ABERCARN, CWMCARN, PENMAEN, GELLYGROES, NEWBRIDGE, PONTLANFRAITH, YNYSDDU and FLEUR-DE-LYS.
There are 2 railway stations in this parish, one belonging to the Great Western Railway Company and the other to the London & North Western Railway Company and forming together at Tredegar Junction.
The church of St. Tudur is a spacious building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells; the church was rebuilt in 1820, and has 550 sittings. The register dates from the year 1664. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £295, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and held since 1860 by the Rev. John Griffiths J.P; Rev. Stephen Jackson and Rev. Howell Thomas, curates. Parish Clerk: Thomas Edwards.
Here is a Welsh Congregational chapel. Rev. Jacob Jones, minister.
Post: Letters through Newport, arrive at 8.,30 a.m. Abercarn is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
A School Board of 9 members was formed in 1871 for the parish:
Clerk to the Board: C.R. Lyne, Westgate Chambers, Newport
Attendance officer: Thomas Evans, Abercarn
Great Western - George Reeves, station master
London & North Western - David Owen, station master
Here are extensive coal mines and iron works and stone quarries; the stone is of good quality, suitable for docks or other heavy masonry purposes. Near the church, on an eminence, is a tumulus. The country os very hilly and mountainous, the scenery very grand; the valley and the lower ground are watered by the rivers Ebbw and Sirhowy.
The largest Village in the parish. It has a station on the Western Valleys line of the Great Western railway, 10 miles north-west from Newport. Here are collieries, iron works, tinplate manufactories and chemical works.
An iron church, St. Luke's, was erected in 1890 and has 500 sittings.
There are English and Welsh Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Calvinistic Methodist, Welsh Congregational (Rev. David Beynon, minister) and Presbyterian chapels.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office: William Griffiths, receiver. Letters arrive from Newport at 5.10 a.m. & 4 p.m; North mail, 9.33 a.m. & dispatched for the North at 1.30 p.m; London and all parts, 7.45 p.m.
Board School, erected in 1876, at a cost of £3,220 & enlarged in 1882, at a further cost of £1,500, for 626 children; average attendance, 191 boys, 173 girls & 193 infants; James Hughes, master; Miss Elizabeth Jones, mistress; Miss Alicia Williams, infants' mistress.
Robert Roberts, station master.
A Hamlet of this parish, about three-quarters of a mile south from Abercarn railway station on the Western Valleys section of the Great Western railway.
Here is an iron church of St. Mark, erected in 1889, with 300 sittings, all free; Rev. Morgan John Griffiths B.A. is curate in charge.
Post, M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office: Ambrose Edwards, receiver. Letters arrive from Newport at 5.30 & 10 a.m. & dispatched at 6.45 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Abercarn.
A Hamlet of this parish, having a station on the Sirhowy section, London & North Western railway, 10.1/4 miles north-west from Newport.
Here are Baptist and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
Post: Letters through Newport arrive at 1.30 a.m. Pontlanfraith is the nearest money order, and Blackwood is the nearest telegraph office.
Board School, erected in 1877, at a cost of £1,500 for 120 children; average attendance, 86; Thomas Harries Phillips, master; Miss Ida Edwards, mistress.
James Williams, station master.
A Hamlet in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, near the Tredegar Junction, 13 miles north-west from Newport.
Here is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
Post: Letters through Newport arrive at 8 a.m. Pontlanfraith is the nearest money order, and Blackwood the nearest telegraph office.
PENMAEN or Penmain
A Hamlet and in 1845 was formed into an Ecclesiastical Parish from the civil parish of Mynyddyslwyn; it is 18 miles north-west from Newport and 3 north from Tredegar Junction station on the Great Western and London & North Western railways.
The church of SS Philip and James is a small structure of stone in the Gothic style, erected in 1855, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret with small spire, containing one bell: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1866. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £150, gross yearly value £300, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of the Diocese alternately, and held since 1846 by the Rev. Rees Jones J.P. who resides at Blackwood, Newport, Rev. Richard William Evans, curate, who resides at Newbridge. Parish Clerk: William Thomas.
Here is a Welsh Congregational chapel.
Post: Letters through Newport arrive at 8 a.m. Blackwood & Crumlin are the nearest money order & telegraph offices. Wall Letter Box, Pentwyn Mawr, cleared at 6.20 p.m.
National School (mixed), built in 1845, for 250 children; average attendance, 100; Henry Loftus Monro, master; Mrs. Eliza Monro, mistress.
The area is 4,250 acres:
The population in 1881 was 2,514.
A Hamlet of this parish, close to the Tredegar Junction of the Great Western and London & North Western lines of the railway and 13.1/2 miles north-west from Newport.
Here is a Chapel of Ease, of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, porch and a bell turret, containing one bell: there are 120 sittings.
Here is a Catholic chapel at Penllwyn, also chapels for Congregational and Welsh Methodist - (Rev. Jeremiah Davies, minister).
Post, & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance: William Daniel Richards, receiver. Letters through Newport, arrive at 5.55 a.m; dispatched at 6.5 p.m. Blackwood is the nearest telegraph office.
Board School, erected in 1878, at a cost of £2,000, for 385 children; average attendance, 85 boys, 82 girls & 54 infants; William Edwards B.A., master; Mrs. Amelia Edwards, mistress; Miss Price, infants' mistress.
A Village on the river Ebwy, in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, with a station on the Western Valleys section of the Great Western railway, 170 miles from London and 11 north-west from Newport.
St. Paul's is an iron church, erected in 1889 at a cost of £350, by the Rev. Matthew Weston Moggridge, of Woodfield Park: it has sittings for 280 persons.
Here are English and Welsh Baptist and Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office: Ebenezer Thomas, receiver. Letters arrive from Newport at 5.25 & 9.30 a.m. & 3.55 p.m. & dispatched at 1.30 and 7.55 p.m.
Board School, erected in 1875 & enlarged in 1881, at a total cost of £3,000, for 482 children; average attendance, 101 boys, 100 girls & 140 infants; George William Stocker, master; Miss Mary Owen, mistress; Miss Elizabeth Bowen. infants' mistress.
John Morris, station master.
A Hamlet in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, on the river Rumney, 1 mile south from the Pengam station on the Brecon & Merthyr railway and 14 west from Newport.
Here are two rooms licensed for Church of England services, as well as Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
There are several collieries in the neighbourhood which give employment to most of the inhabitants.
Post, & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office: Letters arrive through Cardiff at 8 a.m. & 5 p.m; dispatched at 9.40 a.m. & 5.45 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Maes-y-Cwmmer.
Lady Llanover, who is lady of the manor, Lord Tredegar, John Arthur Edward Herbert Esq. D.L., J.P., Matthew Weston Moggridge Esq., and the trustees of the late C. Hanbury Leigh Esq., are the principal landowners in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn. The soil is gravel; subsoil, stone. The land is nearly all laid down as pasture. The area is 15,960 acres of land and 117 of water; rateable value, £65,177.
The population in 1881 was 8,827.
(extracts from Kelly's 1891 Directory of Monmouthshire, transcribed by J. Doe)
Aberbargoed • Aberbeeg • Abercarn • Abergavenny • Abersychan • Abertillery (also see Aberystruth) • Aberystruth • Basseleg • Bettws (near Llantillio Pertholey) • Bettws (near Newport) • Bettws Newydd • Bishton • Blackwood • Blaenavon • Blaina • Briery Hill • Bryngwyn • Bwlch Trewyn • Caerleon or Llangattock-Juxta-Caerleon (see Christchurch for Caerleon Village) • Caerwent • Caldicot • Castleton • Cefnycrib • Chapel Hill • Chepstow • Christchurch (also see Newport) • Clawrplwyf • Coedkernew • Coed y Paen • Crick • Croesyceiliog • Cross Ash • Cross Keys • Crosshands • Crumlin (also see Llanhilleth & Mynyddislwyn) • Cwm (also see Ebbw Vale) • Cwmavon (also see Trevethin) • Cwmbran (also see Llanvihangel Llantarnam & Llanfrechfa) • Cwmcarn • Cwmcarvan • Cwmffrwdoer • Cwmnantddu • Cwmtillery (also see Aberystruth) • Cwmynyscoy • Cwmyoy • Devauden • Dewstow • Dingestow • Dinham • Dixton Newton • Duffryn • Earlswood • Ebbw Vale • Fleur-de-Lys • Freehold • Garndiffaith (also see Trevethin) • Garndyrris • Garnfach • Gellygroes • Glascoed • Goldcliff • Golynos • Govilon • Goytre • Graig • Griffithstown (also see Llanfrechfa & Panteg) • Grosmont • Gwehelog • Gwernesney • Hardwick • Henllys • High Cross • Highmoor Hill • Howick • Ifton • Itton • Kemeys Commander • Kemeys Inferior • Kilgwrrwg • Langstone • Little Mill • Llanarth • Llanbadoc • Llanbedr • Llandavenny • Llandewi Fach • Llanddewi Rhydderch • Llanddewi Skirrid • Llandegveth • Llandenny • Llandevaud • Llandogo • Llanellen • Llanfaeneor • Llanfair Discoed • Llanfair Gilgoed • Llanfair Kilgeddin • Llanfihangel Crucorney • Llanfihangel Gobion • Llanfihangel juxta Roggiett • Llanfihangel Llantarnam • Llanfihangel nigh Usk • Llanfihangel Pont y Moile • Llanfihangel Tafernbach • Llanfihangel Tor y Mynydd • Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern • Llanfihangel y Vedw • Llanfoist • Llanfrechfa • Llangattock • Lingoed • Llangattock nigh Usk • Llangattock Vibon Avel • Llangeview • Llangibby • Llangoven • Llangua • Llangwm Ishaf & Llangwm Uchaf • Llanhennock • Llanhilleth • Llanishen • Llanllowell • Llanmartin • Llanover • Llanrumney • Llansantffraed • Llansoy • Llanthewy Rytherch • Llanthewy Skirrid • Llanthewy Vach • Llanthomas • Llanthony • Llantillio Crossenny • Llantillio Pertholey • Llantrissent • Llanvaches • Llanvair Discoed • Llanvair Kilgeddin • Llanvapley • Llanvetherine • Llanwenarth Citra • Llanwenarth Ultra • Llanwern • Lliswerry • Llwyndu • Machen (Upper & Lower) • Maes-y-cwmmer • Magor • Maindee (also see Christchurch & Newport) • Malpas • Mamhilad • Marshfield • Mathern (also see St Pierre) • May Hill • Michaelston y Fedw • Mitchel Troy • Monkswood • Monmouth • Mounton • Mynyddbach • Mynyddislwyn • Mynyddmaen • Nantyderry • Nantyglo • Nash • New Town • New Tredegar • Newbridge • Newcastle • Newchurch East & West • Newport • Nightingale Village • Oldcastle • Overmonnow • Panteg • Par Grace Dieu • Pen y Clawdd • Penalt • Penbiddle • Pengam • Penhow • Penmaen • Penpergwm • Penrhos • Penrose • Penterry • Pentrepeod • Penygarn • Penyrheol • Peterstone Wentloog • Pillgwenlly • Ponthir • Pontllanfraith • Pontnewydd (also see Llanfrechfa) • Pontnewynydd • Pontrhydyryn • Pontygof • Pontymister • Pontymoile • Pontypool • Pontywain • Porthcasseg • Portskewett • Pwll Du • Pwllmeyric • Raglan • Redbrook • Redwick • Rhydgwern • Rhymney • Risca • Rock • Rockfield • Rogerstone • Roggiett • Rumney • Runston (also see Mathern) • St Arvans • St Brides Netherwent • St Brides Wentloog • St Kingsmark • St Lawrence • St Maughans • St Mellons • St Pierre (also see Mathern) • St Woolos • Sebastopol (also see Panteg) • Shirenewton • Sirhowy • Six Bells • Skenfrith • Snatchwood • Somerton Common • Sudbrook • Talywain (also see Trevethin) • The Race and Upper Race • Tintern Abbey • Tintern Parva • Tranch • Tredegar • Tredunnock • Tregare • Trellech • Trellech Grange • Trevethin • Treworgan • Trostrey • Undy • Upper Machen • Usk • Varteg • Victoria • Waunlwyd • Whitebrook • Whitson • Wilcrick • Wolvesnewton • Wonastow • Wyesham • Ynysddu
All images unless otherwise credited are © MonGenes and may not be reproduced without permission
© MonGenes 2013