m4Monmouthshire flag by NikNaks

m6Flag of St David


Llantillio Crossenny

(A description written in 1891)

A Parish and Village on the river Trothy, 8 miles west-north-west from Monmouth, 5 north from Raglan station on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk & Pontypool section of the Great Western railway, 6 south-east from Abergavenny and 5 south-east from Abergavenny Junction on the Great Western and London & North Western lines; in the Northern division of the county, Hundred and Petty Sessional division of Skenfreth, Union and County Court district of Monmouth, Monmouth and Skenfreth Highway district; eastern division of Abergavenny rural deanery, Monmouth archdeaconry and Llandaff diocese.

The church of St. Teilo is an ancient cruciform building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transept, west porch and a tower with lofty spire containing 6 bells: in the chancel is a handsome piscina: the tower of this church is Early English and was probably erected at the end of the 12th century; it had originally a parapet as shown by the gargoyles, and the roof most likely was flat and covered with lead, or was in the form of a low pyramid covered with stone tile: the bells bear the date 1709, and their framework rests on four large timber uprights rising from the pavement and standing on stone blocks one in each angle of the tower: the present nave is Perpendicular and it was probably erected early in the 13th Century: the chancel is now Decorated and was rebuilt in the early party of the 14th Century; the east window is of the Early Decorated period; the original east window of the north transept has been removed, and the Perpendicular one of the 13th Century, round the arch of which is a band os quatrefoils, inserted in its place; this window has been filled by Mrs Morgan Clifford with stained glass in memory of her husband and son: the two corbel heads or brackets below the window on either side of the communion table were for the support of lights or statues; from the crown and dressing of the hair they are probably of the time of Edward II 1307-1327; the one on the south is intended as a portrait of that king: the church possesses a valuable organ, built in 1887 and presented by Sir Henry and Lady Mather-Jackson, of Llantillio Court: there are 200 sittings, 160 being free. The register of Baptisms dates from the year 1720; Marriages and Burials, 1719. The living is a vicarage, with the Chapelry of Llanfair, £213 yearly tithe rent-charge, gross income £250, with 13 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1846 by the Rev. David Davies. Parish Clerk: Richard Mobey.

Llanfair Chapel of Ease is a building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave, with a turret containing 1 bell, and has a yearly endowment of £13 14s. 10d: the communion plate is dated 1645.

The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.

Charities producing £40 are distributed yearly.

Post Office: Mrs Eliza Davis, receiver. Letters from Abergavenny arrive at 9 a.m; dispatched at 3.10 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Abergavenny & telegraph office at Llanvihangel Gobion. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

County Constabulary Station:

William Edwards, constable


Endowed School (mixed), for 100 children; average attendance, 90; the endowment amounts to about £200 yearly; left by William Powell & derived from about 200 acres of land; Henry George Morgan, master.

The fine ruins of Llantillio Castle, a Norman fortress, supposed to have been built during the usurpation of Stephen, stands on a lofty hill, and is now known by the name of White Castle; it was once possessed by Brian FitzCount, Earl of Hereford, who followed the Norman Conqueror to England, and it was dismantled, as it appears, together with the castles of Skenfreth and Grosmont, by order of King Edward IV in the wars of the Roses.

Llantillio Court is the seat of Sir Henry Mather-Jackson Bart.D.L., J.P.

The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir Henry Mather-Jackson Bart. D.L., J.P., E.K.Mardon Esq., Reginald Vaughan Esq., John Parry Esq., and James Graham Esq. J.P. The soil is chiefly clay; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and a few roots. The area is 5,956 acres; rateable value, £5,636.

The population in 1881 was 662.

(extracts from Kelly's 1891 Directory of Monmouthshire, transcribed by J. Doe)




AberbargoedAberbeegAbercarnAbergavennyAbersychan Abertillery (also see Aberystruth) • AberystruthBettws (near Llantillio Pertholey) Bettws (near Newport)Bettws NewyddBishtonBlackwoodBlaenavonBlainaBriery Hill BryngwynBwlch Trewyn Caerleon or Llangattock-Juxta-Caerleon (see Christchurch for Caerleon Village)CaerwentCaldicotCastletonCefnycribChapel HillChepstow Christchurch (also see Newport)Clawrplwyf CoedkernewCoed y PaenCrickCroesyceiliogCross AshCross KeysCrosshands Crumlin (also see Llanhilleth & Mynyddislwyn) Cwm (also see Ebbw Vale)Cwmavon (also see Trevethin)Cwmbran (also see Llanvihangel Llantarnam & Llanfrechfa) Cwmcarn CwmcarvanCwmffrwdoerCwmnantdduCwmtillery (also see Aberystruth)CwmynyscoyCwmyoy DevaudenDewstowDingestowDinhamDixton NewtonDuffrynEarlswoodEbbw ValeFleur-de-LysFreehold Garndiffaith (also see Trevethin) GarndyrrisGarnfachGellygroesGlascoedGoldcliff GolynosGovilonGoytreGraig Griffithstown (also see Llanfrechfa & Panteg) GrosmontGwehelogGwernesneyHardwickHenllysHigh CrossHighmoor Hill • HowickIfton IttonKemeys CommanderKemeys Inferior Kilgwrrwg Langstone Little Mill LlanarthLlanbadocLlanbedr LlandavennyLlandewi Fach Llanddewi RhydderchLlanddewi SkirridLlandegvethLlandennyLlandevaudLlandogoLlanellenLlanfaeneorLlanfair DiscoedLlanfair GilgoedLlanfair Kilgeddin • Llanfihangel CrucorneyLlanfihangel Gobion • Llanfihangel juxta Roggiett • Llanfihangel LlantarnamLlanfihangel nigh UskLlanfihangel Pont y MoileLlanfihangel TafernbachLlanfihangel Tor y MynyddLlanfihangel Ystern LlewernLlanfihangel y VedwLlanfoistLlanfrechfaLlangattock • Lingoed Llangattock nigh Usk • Llangattock Vibon Avel • LlangeviewLlangibbyLlangovenLlanguaLlangwm Ishaf & Llangwm Uchaf • LlanhennockLlanhillethLlanishenLlanllowellLlanmartinLlanover • LlanrumneyLlansantffraedLlansoy • Llanthewy RytherchLlanthewy Skirrid • Llanthewy VachLlanthomasLlanthonyLlantillio CrossennyLlantillio PertholeyLlantrissentLlanvachesLlanvair DiscoedLlanvair KilgeddinLlanvapleyLlanvetherineLlanwenarth CitraLlanwenarth UltraLlanwernLliswerry Llwyndu Machen (Upper & Lower) • Maes-y-cwmmerMagorMaindee (also see Christchurch & Newport)MalpasMamhiladMarshfieldMathern (also see St Pierre)May HillMichaelston y FedwMitchel TroyMonkswoodMonmouthMountonMynyddbachMynyddislwynMynyddmaenNantyderryNantygloNashNew TownNew TredegarNewbridgeNewcastleNewchurch East & WestNewport • Nightingale VillageOldcastleOvermonnow PantegPar Grace DieuPen y Clawdd PenaltPenbiddlePengamPenhowPenmaenPenpergwmPenrhosPenrosePenterryPentrepeod PenygarnPenyrheol Peterstone WentloogPillgwenllyPonthirPontllanfraithPontnewydd (also see Llanfrechfa)PontnewynyddPontrhydyrynPontygofPontymister PontymoilePontypoolPontywainPorthcassegPortskewettPwll DuPwllmeyricRaglanRedbrookRedwickRhydgwernRhymneyRisca RockRockfieldRogerstoneRoggiettRumneyRunston (also see Mathern)St ArvansSt Brides Netherwent St Brides WentloogSt Kingsmark St LawrenceSt MaughansSt MellonsSt Pierre (also see Mathern)St WoolosSebastopol (also see Panteg)ShirenewtonSirhowySix BellsSkenfrithSnatchwoodSomerton CommonSudbrookTalywain (also see Trevethin) • The Race and Upper RaceTintern AbbeyTintern ParvaTranchTredegarTredunnock TregareTrellechTrellech GrangeTrevethinTreworganTrostreyUndyUpper MachenUskVartegVictoriaWaunlwydWhitebrookWhitsonWilcrickWolvesnewtonWonastowWyeshamYnysddu




All images unless otherwise credited are © MonGenes and may not be reproduced without permission

© MonGenes 2013

Searchable Searchable