Searchable Searchable

Newport & Pontypool Unions

(the following details, unless otherwise stated, are derived from Kelly's 1891 Directory for Monmouthshire, together with the Gwent Archives and Wikipedia websites)


Newport Poor Law Union was formed in 1836 and operated in constituent parishes of:

Bedwas, Bettws, Bishton, Caerleon, Christchurch, Coedcernyw, Dyffryn, Goldcliff, Graig, Henllys, Kemeys Inferior, Llandevenny, Llangattock, Langstone, Llanfihangel Llantarnam, Llanhennock, Llanmartin, Llanwern, Llanvaches, Llanwern, Lower Machen, Machen, Magor, Malpas, Marshfield, Michaelston-y-Fedw, Mynyddislwyn, Nash, Newport, Penhow, Peterstone Wentlooge, Redwick, Risca, Rogerstone, St Brides Wentlooge, St Woolloos, Tredunnock, Whitson and Wilcrick in Monmouthshire and Llanfedw and Rhyd-y-gwern in Glamorgan.

The parishes of Rumney and St Mellons, Monmouthshire, were added in 1895. (details from Cymru Archives Wales website)

Woollaston House Workhouse, at the top of Stow Hill was built in 1837-1838 and is a building of stone & brick, erected in 1837, at a cost of £3,000 on a site given by Sit Charles Morgan Bart. In 1868-9 it was enlarged and additional land purchased at a cost of £10.000; a men's receiving ward was added in 1888 at a cost of £2,000. In 1891 the building was available for 420 inmates.

The Union in 1891:

Board Day was held each Saturday at 12 noon, at the Workhouse.

Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee: William Downing Evans, Woollaston House, Stow Hill

Treasurer: Edwin Webber, National Provincial Bank of England

Relieving Officers:

Central District: W. Baker, Llanbedr House, Devon Road, Newport

Eastern District: John Phelps Williams, Victoria Avenue, Maindee

Northern District: J. Watkins, Croespenmaen, Crumlin

Western District: A.H. Rees, 23 Hill Street, Newport

Inquiry Officers:

Alfred Henry Rees, 23 Hill Street, Newport

Thomas R. Morgan, Caerleon

William Reed, Malpas

Collectors to the Guardians: are the Relieving Officers as above

Vaccination Officers:

Central District: John Lewis, Caerleon, Newport

Eastern District: John Phelps Williams, Victoria Avenue, Maindee, Newport

Northern District: William Morgan, Newbridge, Newport

Western District: Edward Rowland, Tydee, Newport

Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators:

Bedwas District: John Llewellyn, Caerphilly

Caerleon District: Charles William de Gruchy L.R.C.P.Lond, Caerleon

Magor District: William Williams Morgan M.D, Newport

Marshfield District: Henry Rochfort Hudson L.K.Q.C.P.Irel, Newport

Mynyddislwyn District: William Henry Davies L.R.C.P.Lond, Newbridge, Newport

Newport District: T. Limbery & John Nicholls Lewis L.R.C.P.Lond, Christchurch, Newport

Risca District: Richard Istance, Pontymister

St. Woollos District: Octavius Henry Jennings, Newport

Superintendent Registrar: Thomas Parry, Albany Chambers, Newport

Deputy: Tom W. Wring, Albany Chambers, Newport

Registrars of Births & Deaths:

Caerleon Sub-District: John Phelps Williams, Victoria Avenue, Maindee

Deputy: Miss Lois Williams

Newport District: William Downing Evans, Woollaston House, Stow Hill, Newport

Deputy: John Powell, Thornton, Gold Tops, Newport

St. Woollos District: Edward Rowland, Tydee, Newport

Deputy: William M. Rowland

Mynyddislwyn District: William Morgan, Newbridge, Newport

Deputy: William E. Morgan

Registrars of Marriages:

Newport: William Downing Evans, Stow Hill, Newport

Deputy: John Powell, Thornton, Gold Tops, Newport

Mynyddislwyn District: William Morgan, Newbridge, Newport

Deputy: William E. Morgan


Woolaston House, Stow Hill

Staff in 1891:

Master: Frank Needham

Chaplain: Rev. Alfred Wilkins A.C.P.

Medical Officer: O.H. Jennings

Matron: Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Edwards


The People in charge of Newport Union at the Opening of the New Workhouse & Infirmary in 1904



Chairman of the Board of Guardians



Clerk to the Board of Guardians



Master of the Workhouse



Workhouse Medical Officer



The Architect

Download the programme to the 1904 opening ceremony here:

Newport Workhouse & Infirmary 1904

Transcribed by Jo Doe, and reproduced courtesy of the Newport Reference Library

Newport Board of Guardians Records


The school-age children of the Workhouse are boarded out at the CAERLEON INDUSTRIAL SCHOOLS, Cambria House, Caerleon.

Mill Street, Caerleon

This was a branch of the Newport Poor Law Union, established in 1859 and enlarged in 1881: at a cost of £6,000.

The Industrial Schools:

Staff in 1891:

Superintendent: Gilbert William Harding

Medical Officer: Charles William de Grunchy L.R.C.P.Lond.

Chaplain: Rev. Alfred Wilkins

Industrial Trainer: Miss Sarah Davies

Matron: Mrs. Mary Harding

School-master: Charles Axtell

Bailiff: Walter Davies

School-mistress: Miss Jane Wylie

Infants' mistress: Miss Alice A.Jones

In 1891 there are about 200 children at the school. 30 acres of land is attached to the School and the boys are taught farming & garden work, tailoring & instrumental music; the girls are instructed in house-work, sewing & washing to fit them for domestic service.

The population of the Newport Union in 1881 was 70,673; rateable value in 1890, £549,182.

Newport Board of Guardians Records



Pontypool Poor Law Union was formed in 1836 and operated in constituent parishes of:

Glascoed, Goetre, Gwehelog, Gwernesney, Kemeys Commander, Llanbadoc, Llanddewi Fach, Llandegveth, Llangeview, Llangibby, Llanhilleth, Llanllowel, Llantrisant, Llanvihangel Pontymoel, Llanfrechfa Lower, Llanfrechfa Upper, Mamhilad, Monkswood, Panteg, Pontypool, Trevethin, Trostre and Usk in Monmouthshire. (details from Cymru Archives Wales website)

The Union Workhouse was built at Griffiths Town, near Pontypool, in 1837. Cottage Homes were erected in 1881, giving accommodation for 270, including 64 children in the Cottage Homes.

The Union in 1891:

Board Day: held on alternate Thursdays, 1t 10 a.m. at the Workhouse, Griffiths Town, near Pontypool

Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee: Martin Edwards, Town Hall, Pontypool

Treasurer: William Collins, Bristol & West of England Bank, Pontypool

Collector to the Guardians: Henry Bythway, Glantorvaen House, Pontypool

Relieving & School Inquiry Officers:

Trevethin District: William Maliphant, Abersychan

Panteg District: John Reginald Jerroms, Trosnant Street, Pontypool

Usk District: William Jerroms, Usk

Vaccination Officers:

Pontypool: Robert Darrett

Usk: William Jerroms

Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators:

Abersychan District: Abraham Robert Verity, Garniffaith

Panteg District: John O'Keeffe M.R.C.S.Eng, L.R.C.S.Edin, Griffiths Town

Pontypool District: Samuel Bulter Mason M.R.C.P.Edin, Denham House, Park Terrace, Pontypool

Usk District: Alexander John Shepard, Usk

Superintendent Registrar: Thomas Watkins, Club Chambers, Pontypool

Deputy: Alfred Henry Watkins, Club Chambers, Pontypool

Registrars of Births & Deaths:

Llangibby Sub-District: William Maddy, Croesyceiliog

Deputy: Thomas Parker, Race Farm, Panteg

Pontypool Sub-District: Martin Edwards, Town Hall, Pontypool

Deputy: James Lewis Morgan, Hanbury Road, Pontypool

Usk Sub-District: William Jerroms, Usk

Deputy: James Cassidy, Usk

Registrar of Marriages: William Jerroms, Usk

Deputy: Francis Huggins, Pontnewynydd


Coedygric Road, Griffithstown

Staff in 1891:

Master: Hartley Feather

Chaplain: Rev. John Robert Phillips

Medical Officer: John O'Keeffe L.R.C.P.Edin.

Matron: Mrs L. Feather

Schoolmaster: John Francis Stephens

Schoolmistress: Mrs. Stephens

The population of the Pontypool Union in 1881 was 35,335; rateable value in 1890, £152,909.

The Pontypool Union Workhouse later became the County Hospital.

Pontypool Board of Guardians Records


All images unless otherwise credited are © MonGenes and may not be reproduced without permission

© MonGenes 2013

website created by DGLogotransp1 Doe graphic design


Burton Alms Houses in Friars Road, Newport. Built in the early 20th century by Colonel Henry Burton, they were originally intended for use by retired servicemen. Burton also erected almshouse at Monmouth

Photo © Copyright Jaggery Creative Commons Licence


County Hospital, Griffithstown was originally the Pontypool Union Workhouse.  for reuse under thisCreative Commons Licence