Flag of St David
(A description written in 1891)
See also Llanover
A Town among the hills in the Parish of Llanover Upper, 173 miles from London by rail, 6 north from Pontypool, 6 south-west from Abergavenny, 5.1/2 west from Llanover and 14 north from Newport; in the Northern division of the County, Pontypool Hundred; Petty Sessional division and Union of Abergavenny, within the County Court districts of Abergavenny and Pontypool; Blaenau Gwent division of Abergavenny rural deanery, Monnmouth archdeaconry, and Llandaff diocese.
It is situated on the river Avon Lwyd, or Torfaen, and has a station on the Great Western railway (Eastern Valleys branch), which commences at Newport and terminates here; the London & North Western railway has also a station here on the line from Abersychan to Brynmawr, about a quarter of a mile from the town, on a mountain side, and called the High Level station. “The Local Government Act, 1858”, was adopted by the ecclesiastical parish March 27, 1860, and the board consists of fifteen members. The town is lighted with gas and supplied with water by the Blaenavon Gas & Water Co. Limited; the water is obtained from three reservoirs, two at Llanover road and one at Cae Cradoch.
An Ecclesiastical Parish was formed here by an Order in Council in 1858, under the name of Blaenavon-cwm-Capel Newydd, which takes in a portion of each of the following parishes, namely: from Llanover Upper about 1,632 acres, Lanfoist 1,003, Llanwenarth 96, and Trevethin 631; total, 3,362 acres.
The church of St. Peter, built and endowed by Samuel Hopkins and Thomas Hill Esqrs, the proprietors at that time, of the Blaenavon Iron & Coal Works, was opened in 1804 and consecrated in June, 1805: it is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of a chancel, nave and a western tower, with a small spire, containing 6 bells: the church was re-pewed in 1850 and thoroughly repaired, and again re-pewed in 1883, and was reopened in August of that year; the expense, about £1.000, was partly borne by the Blaenavon Co. Limited the patrons of the living, and partly from local subscription and the proceeds of a bazaar: there are 650 sittings, 470 being free: the churchyard was enlarged in 1882, at the expense of the Company, by whom the land was inclosed and presented. The register dates from the year 1805. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of the Blaenavon Company Limited, and held since 1891 by the Rev. John Lewis Clougher B.A. of St David's College, Lampeter. Sexton: John Griffiths
Here is a Catholic church, dedicated to the Sacred Heart & St Felix.
Five Baptist Chapels (one being Welsh), English and Welsh Congregational chapels, Calvinistic Methodist, Bible Christian, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels; A Wesleyan chapel, costing £1,300, was erected in … Park street, with sittings for 500.
The Town Hall is a building of stone, erected in 1869, … and will seat 1,000 people; the trustees of Mr John Griffith Williams, proprietors.
A Hospital for the treatment of accident cases was erected in 1883, and is entirely managed and supported by a local committee of the workmen and agents of the Blaenavon Company Limited; the number of cases admitted in 1890 was 30.
Here are two breweries.
The A Company of the 4th Volunteer Battalion, South Wales Borderers, have their head quarters and armoury in High street, the present strength of the company being 82 rank and file.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Mon added) - Postmaster, Rees Jones. Letters arrive from Newport daily at 6.15 & 8 a.m. & 3.30 p.m; dispatched at 11 a.m. & 4.10, 5, 6.10 & 7 p.m. (except Sundays, then at 11 a.m.) Wall Letter Box, Forge side, cleared 10 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. except Sundays.
Places of Worship:
St Peter's Church: Rev. John Lewis Clougher B.A. vicar
Mission Church, Forge Side: served by the vicar & curate
Catholic: served from the Monastery, Pontypool
Baptist (Welsh & English), James St: Rev. Gwillym Evans, minister
Baptist, Broad Street: Rev. William Rees, minister
Baptist, Church Road: Rev. William Morgan, minister
Baptist, Forge Side: ministers various
Baptist, King Street: Rev. Ewen Tidman, minister
Bible Christians, Board Street: Rev. John Selden
Calvinistic Methodist, King Street
Congregational (Welsh), Broad Street: Rev. Ephraim Thomas, minister
Congregational, Lion Street: Rev. Levi Rees, minister
Congregational (Welsh), James Street: Rev. Thomas Mavonwy Davies, minister
Primitive Methodist, Broad Street: Rev. William Jones, minister
Wesleyan, Park Street: Rev. John Banfield Gedye, minister
Wesleyan (Wesley), Chapel Row: Rev. John Banfield Gedye, minister
Board School (mixed infants) (under Trevethin School Board)
erected in 1883, for 248 children; average attendance, 100 boys & girls; & 65 infants; Edmund Jones, master; Mrs Jones, infants' mistress
National School (mixed)
built & endowed by Mrs Hopkins, & opened 15th April, 1816, for 150 boys & 180 girls; average attendance, 123 boys & 145 girls; William Howse, master; Miss Fanny Philippe, mistress
National School (infants), built by subscription & opened 12th of February, 1849, for 285 children, & with class rooms since added 350; average attendance, 180; these schools are principally supported by the Blaenavon Company; Miss Annie Russell, mistress
Catholic School (mixed)
built in 1870, for 150 children; average attendance, 110; Mrs Ellen De Lacey, mistress
British School (mixed)
built in 1871, for 500 children; average attendance, 219 children & 125 infants; Titus Jenkins, master; Mrs Annie Davies, infants' mistress
Wesleyan School (mixed)
built in 1871, for 400 children; average attendance, 248; Henry Lindsay Hudson, master; Miss Ruth West, infants' mistress
Low Level station (G.W.R.), William Lewis, station master
High Level station (L.N.W.R.), Henry J Duck, station master
The market day is on Saturday, and fairs are held on 16th of April and 17th September.
The Blaenavon Company Limited have very extensive iron, steel and coal works, with 9 blast furnaces, 3 rolling mills, for heavy, light and colliery rails and tinplate bars, and a tyre mille, and employ about 4,000 persons: the Company also maintains 2 brick factories; their works are lighted by the electric light. Blaenavon House, in the town, formerly the residence for Robert William Kennard Esq. J.P. is now used by the directors of the Blaenavon Company Limited.
The Marquess of Abergavenny is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Blaenavon Company, whose property extends over about 11,000 acres; John Capel Hanbury Esq. J.P. and Mrs James Edwards have also small properties here. The soil is clay; subsoil, coal and mining strata, resting on mountain limestone; the area is 3,362 acres, rateable value, £22,605.
The population is 1881 was 9,451
(extracts from Kelly's 1891 Directory of Monmouthshire, transcribed by J. Doe)
Aberbargoed • Aberbeeg • Abercarn • Abergavenny • Abersychan • Abertillery (also see Aberystruth) • Aberystruth • Basseleg • Bettws (near Llantillio Pertholey) • Bettws (near Newport) • Bettws Newydd • Bishton • Blackwood • Blaenavon • Blaina • Briery Hill • Bryngwyn • Bwlch Trewyn • Caerleon or Llangattock-Juxta-Caerleon (see Christchurch for Caerleon Village) • Caerwent • Caldicot • Castleton • Cefnycrib • Chapel Hill • Chepstow • Christchurch (also see Newport) • Clawrplwyf • Coedkernew • Coed y Paen • Crick • Croesyceiliog • Cross Ash • Cross Keys • Crosshands • Crumlin (also see Llanhilleth & Mynyddislwyn) • Cwm (also see Ebbw Vale) • Cwmavon (also see Trevethin) • Cwmbran (also see Llanvihangel Llantarnam & Llanfrechfa) • Cwmcarn • Cwmcarvan • Cwmffrwdoer • Cwmnantddu • Cwmtillery (also see Aberystruth) • Cwmynyscoy • Cwmyoy • Devauden • Dewstow • Dingestow • Dinham • Dixton Newton • Duffryn • Earlswood • Ebbw Vale • Fleur-de-Lys • Freehold • Garndiffaith (also see Trevethin) • Garndyrris • Garnfach • Gellygroes • Glascoed • Goldcliff • Golynos • Govilon • Goytre • Graig • Griffithstown (also see Llanfrechfa & Panteg) • Grosmont • Gwehelog • Gwernesney • Hardwick • Henllys • High Cross • Highmoor Hill • Howick • Ifton • Itton • Kemeys Commander • Kemeys Inferior • Kilgwrrwg • Langstone • Little Mill • Llanarth • Llanbadoc • Llanbedr • Llandavenny • Llandewi Fach • Llanddewi Rhydderch • Llanddewi Skirrid • Llandegveth • Llandenny • Llandevaud • Llandogo • Llanellen • Llanfaeneor • Llanfair Discoed • Llanfair Gilgoed • Llanfair Kilgeddin • Llanfihangel Crucorney • Llanfihangel Gobion • Llanfihangel juxta Roggiett • Llanfihangel Llantarnam • Llanfihangel nigh Usk • Llanfihangel Pont y Moile • Llanfihangel Tafernbach • Llanfihangel Tor y Mynydd • Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern • Llanfihangel y Vedw • Llanfoist • Llanfrechfa • Llangattock • Lingoed • Llangattock nigh Usk • Llangattock Vibon Avel • Llangeview • Llangibby • Llangoven • Llangua • Llangwm Ishaf & Llangwm Uchaf • Llanhennock • Llanhilleth • Llanishen • Llanllowell • Llanmartin • Llanover • Llanrumney • Llansantffraed • Llansoy • Llanthewy Rytherch • Llanthewy Skirrid • Llanthewy Vach • Llanthomas • Llanthony • Llantillio Crossenny • Llantillio Pertholey • Llantrissent • Llanvaches • Llanvair Discoed • Llanvair Kilgeddin • Llanvapley • Llanvetherine • Llanwenarth Citra • Llanwenarth Ultra • Llanwern • Lliswerry • Llwyndu • Machen (Upper & Lower) • Maes-y-cwmmer • Magor • Maindee (also see Christchurch & Newport) • Malpas • Mamhilad • Marshfield • Mathern (also see St Pierre) • May Hill • Michaelston y Fedw • Mitchel Troy • Monkswood • Monmouth • Mounton • Mynyddbach • Mynyddislwyn • Mynyddmaen • Nantyderry • Nantyglo • Nash • New Town • New Tredegar • Newbridge • Newcastle • Newchurch East & West • Newport • Nightingale Village • Oldcastle • Overmonnow • Panteg • Par Grace Dieu • Pen y Clawdd • Penalt • Penbiddle • Pengam • Penhow • Penmaen • Penpergwm • Penrhos • Penrose • Penterry • Pentrepeod • Penygarn • Penyrheol • Peterstone Wentloog • Pillgwenlly • Ponthir • Pontllanfraith • Pontnewydd (also see Llanfrechfa) • Pontnewynydd • Pontrhydyryn • Pontygof • Pontymister • Pontymoile • Pontypool • Pontywain • Porthcasseg • Portskewett • Pwll Du • Pwllmeyric • Raglan • Redbrook • Redwick • Rhydgwern • Rhymney • Risca • Rock • Rockfield • Rogerstone • Roggiett • Rumney • Runston (also see Mathern) • St Arvans • St Brides Netherwent • St Brides Wentloog • St Kingsmark • St Lawrence • St Maughans • St Mellons • St Pierre (also see Mathern) • St Woolos • Sebastopol (also see Panteg) • Shirenewton • Sirhowy • Six Bells • Skenfrith • Snatchwood • Somerton Common • Sudbrook • Talywain (also see Trevethin) • The Race and Upper Race • Tintern Abbey • Tintern Parva • Tranch • Tredegar • Tredunnock • Tregare • Trellech • Trellech Grange • Trevethin • Treworgan • Trostrey • Undy • Upper Machen • Usk • Varteg • Victoria • Waunlwyd • Whitebrook • Whitson • Wilcrick • Wolvesnewton • Wonastow • Wyesham • Ynysddu
All images unless otherwise credited are © MonGenes and may not be reproduced without permission
© MonGenes 2013