Flag of St David
including Aberbargoed, Argoed, Bargoed, Blackwood,
Pengam & Rock
(A description written in 1891)
A very large Parish and Head of a Petty Sessional division and Union, 181 mies from London, 16 north-west from Newport, 15 north-west from Pontypool, and 8 south from Tredegar, in the Western division of the county, Hundred of Wentloog; Tredegar County Court district; Blaenau Gwent division of Abergavenny rural deanery, Monmouth archdeaconry and Llandaff diocese.
St Sannan's, Bedwellty - Photo © Gerry Pritchard
The church of St Sannan is an ancient stone building, in the Early English style, situated on the top of a hill, midway between Argoed and Bargoed railway stations, and consists of chancel, nave, aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: it was restored in 1858, and in 1882 was thoroughly repaired, and has 200 sittings: the churchyard was also enlarged and is now 2 acres in extent. The Baptism register dates from 1624, Burials 1627, Marriages 1634. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1872 by the Rev. Samuel John, a surrogate for the diocese; curates, Rev. William Gillmore Kirkham M.A. (curate in charge of Blackwood), Rev. William James (curate in charge of Pengam). Parish Clerk: Thomas Daniel.
Places of Worship:
Bedwellty (St Sannan): Rev. Samuel John, vicar
Blackwood (St Margaret's): Rev.William Gillmore Kirkham M.A. curate in charge
Pengam (Mission Room) : Rev. William Jones, curate in charge
Baptist, Argoed (Welsh): Rev. Evan George
Baptist, Bargoed (Welsh): Rev. John Parish
Baptist, Blackwood (English): Rev. John Parish
Baptist, Blackwood (Welsh): ministers various
Baptist, Pengam: ministers various
Calvinistic Methodist (Rock): ministers various
Wesleyan (Blackwood): ministers various
The parish contains many iron works and collieries.
Lord Tredegar is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Edmund Davies Williams Esq. J.P.. The Ebbw Vale Co. Limited, Lord Tredegar, Lady Llanover, trustees of Colonel John Yerbury Moggeridge R.E., J.P., Edward Lewis Esq. and the Tredegar Iron Company. The soil is clay; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 16,056 acres of land and 188 of water; rateable value, £112,000;
The population in 1881 was 37,151, of which 3,205 are attached to the mother church.
The following Villages and Places are within the parish of Bedwellty:
Argoed, Bargoed, Blackwood, Briery Hill, Ebbw Vale, George Town, New Town, Pengam, Pontygof, Rock, Rhymney, Tredegar, New Tredegar, Victoria, and part of Fleur-de-Lis is also in this parish.
(Ebbw Vale, Rhymney and Tredegar, with George Town will be found under separate headings. Briery Hill, New Town, Pontygof and Victoria will be found under Ebbw Vale).
Bedwellty Union: for particulars - see Tredegar
A School Board of 11 members was formed for this parish in 1871; the Board meet at the Board room, Earl street, Tredegar, at 10.30 a.m.
Clerk: Charles Dauncey, Castle street, Tredegar
AttendanceOfficer: Isaiah Edmunds, Blackwood
Manmoel Board School (mixed), built in 1880, for 53 children; average attendance, 24; Miss B E Price, mistress
Holly Bush Board School (mixed), built in 1884, for 74 children; average attendance, 60; Miss Lewis, mistress
Bedwellty Pits: William Davies, station master
Holly Bush: David Williams, station master
A Village in the parish of Bedwellty, with a station on the Sirhowy line, 179 miles from London and six south from Tredegar.
Here is Welsh Baptist chapel. There are several collieries in the neighbourhood, and a corn mill, turned by the Sirhowy river.
Post: Letters through Newport arrive at 9.30 a.m. Blackwood is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Wall Letter box cleared daily (except Sunday) at 5 p.m.
Evan Jones, station master
A Village in the parish of Bedwellty, and station on the Rhymney branch of the London and North Western railway, 180.3/4 miles from London
Here is a Welsh Baptist chapel
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, William Davies, receiver. Letters from Cardiff arrive 6.48 a.m. & 1 p.m; depart 2.45 & 6.45 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Tredegar
A large Village, about half a mile long, in a beautiful valley, through which flows the river Sirhowy, and has a station on the Newport & Sirhowy branch of the London and North Western railway, 15 miles north-west from Newport, 8 south from Tredegar, and 7.1/2 south-west from Pontypool.
The village is lighted with gas from works the property of the Blackwood Gas Co.
St Margaret's, a Chapel of Ease to Bedwellty church, erected in 1876, is a small building of stone with Bath stone dressings in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and western turret containing one bell. The Rev. William Gillmore Kirkham M.A. is curate in charge.
Here is a large public hall, holding 600 people, and used for public meetings and entertainments. Here is an iron foundry and two collieries.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Blackwood - Edmund Edmunds, postmaster. Letters arrive from Newport at 6.5 & 9.40 a.m. & 2.45 p.m; dispatched at 11.40 a.m. & 5.50 p.m. Wall letter box, cleared at 5.25 p.m. week days only.
County Police Station:
James James, sergeant & 8 constables
Board School (mixed & infants), built in 1877, for 250 children; average attendance, 150 boys & girls & 100 infants; Owen Edwards, master; Mrs Edwards, infant's mistress.
L.& N.W.R.: Cornelius Bohane, station master
A Village in the parish of Bedwellty, in a valley on the river Rumney, with a station on the Brecon & Merthyr railway and on the Rhymney branch of the London & North Western railway, 13 miles west from Pontypool and 6.1/2 south from Rhymney.
There is a Baptist chapel and in the neighbourhood are many collieries.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. Letters through Cardiff - David Matthews, receiver. Letters arrive 8.10 a.m; dispatched 5.15 p.m. Maesycwmmer is the nearest telegraph office.
Board School (mixed), built in 1878, for 276 children; average attendance, 130 boys & girls & 76 infants; David Williams, master; Mrs Williams, infants' mistress
Edmund Makepeace, station master
A Hamlet 1 mile from Blackwood railway station. Here is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel,
Post: Letters through Newport arrive at 8.45 a.m. Blackwood is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Wall Letter Box cleared daily (Sun. excepted), 5.15 p.m.
(extracts from Kelly's 1891 Directory of Monmouthshire, transcribed by J. Doe)
Aberbargoed • Aberbeeg • Abercarn • Abergavenny • Abersychan • Abertillery (also see Aberystruth) • Aberystruth • Basseleg • Bettws (near Llantillio Pertholey) • Bettws (near Newport) • Bettws Newydd • Bishton • Blackwood • Blaenavon • Blaina • Briery Hill • Bryngwyn • Bwlch Trewyn • Caerleon or Llangattock-Juxta-Caerleon (see Christchurch for Caerleon Village) • Caerwent • Caldicot • Castleton • Cefnycrib • Chapel Hill • Chepstow • Christchurch (also see Newport) • Clawrplwyf • Coedkernew • Coed y Paen • Crick • Croesyceiliog • Cross Ash • Cross Keys • Crosshands • Crumlin (also see Llanhilleth & Mynyddislwyn) • Cwm (also see Ebbw Vale) • Cwmavon (also see Trevethin) • Cwmbran (also see Llanvihangel Llantarnam & Llanfrechfa) • Cwmcarn • Cwmcarvan • Cwmffrwdoer • Cwmnantddu • Cwmtillery (also see Aberystruth) • Cwmynyscoy • Cwmyoy • Devauden • Dewstow • Dingestow • Dinham • Dixton Newton • Duffryn • Earlswood • Ebbw Vale • Fleur-de-Lys • Freehold • Garndiffaith (also see Trevethin) • Garndyrris • Garnfach • Gellygroes • Glascoed • Goldcliff • Golynos • Govilon • Goytre • Graig • Griffithstown (also see Llanfrechfa & Panteg) • Grosmont • Gwehelog • Gwernesney • Hardwick • Henllys • High Cross • Highmoor Hill • Howick • Ifton • Itton • Kemeys Commander • Kemeys Inferior • Kilgwrrwg • Langstone • Little Mill • Llanarth • Llanbadoc • Llanbedr • Llandavenny • Llandewi Fach • Llanddewi Rhydderch • Llanddewi Skirrid • Llandegveth • Llandenny • Llandevaud • Llandogo • Llanellen • Llanfaeneor • Llanfair Discoed • Llanfair Gilgoed • Llanfair Kilgeddin • Llanfihangel Crucorney • Llanfihangel Gobion • Llanfihangel juxta Roggiett • Llanfihangel Llantarnam • Llanfihangel nigh Usk • Llanfihangel Pont y Moile • Llanfihangel Tafernbach • Llanfihangel Tor y Mynydd • Llanfihangel Ystern Llewern • Llanfihangel y Vedw • Llanfoist • Llanfrechfa • Llangattock • Lingoed • Llangattock nigh Usk • Llangattock Vibon Avel • Llangeview • Llangibby • Llangoven • Llangua • Llangwm Ishaf & Llangwm Uchaf • Llanhennock • Llanhilleth • Llanishen • Llanllowell • Llanmartin • Llanover • Llanrumney • Llansantffraed • Llansoy • Llanthewy Rytherch • Llanthewy Skirrid • Llanthewy Vach • Llanthomas • Llanthony • Llantillio Crossenny • Llantillio Pertholey • Llantrissent • Llanvaches • Llanvair Discoed • Llanvair Kilgeddin • Llanvapley • Llanvetherine • Llanwenarth Citra • Llanwenarth Ultra • Llanwern • Lliswerry • Llwyndu • Machen (Upper & Lower) • Maes-y-cwmmer • Magor • Maindee (also see Christchurch & Newport) • Malpas • Mamhilad • Marshfield • Mathern (also see St Pierre) • May Hill • Michaelston y Fedw • Mitchel Troy • Monkswood • Monmouth • Mounton • Mynyddbach • Mynyddislwyn • Mynyddmaen • Nantyderry • Nantyglo • Nash • New Town • New Tredegar • Newbridge • Newcastle • Newchurch East & West • Newport • Nightingale Village • Oldcastle • Overmonnow • Panteg • Par Grace Dieu • Pen y Clawdd • Penalt • Penbiddle • Pengam • Penhow • Penmaen • Penpergwm • Penrhos • Penrose • Penterry • Pentrepeod • Penygarn • Penyrheol • Peterstone Wentloog • Pillgwenlly • Ponthir • Pontllanfraith • Pontnewydd (also see Llanfrechfa) • Pontnewynydd • Pontrhydyryn • Pontygof • Pontymister • Pontymoile • Pontypool • Pontywain • Porthcasseg • Portskewett • Pwll Du • Pwllmeyric • Raglan • Redbrook • Redwick • Rhydgwern • Rhymney • Risca • Rock • Rockfield • Rogerstone • Roggiett • Rumney • Runston (also see Mathern) • St Arvans • St Brides Netherwent • St Brides Wentloog • St Kingsmark • St Lawrence • St Maughans • St Mellons • St Pierre (also see Mathern) • St Woolos • Sebastopol (also see Panteg) • Shirenewton • Sirhowy • Six Bells • Skenfrith • Snatchwood • Somerton Common • Sudbrook • Talywain (also see Trevethin) • The Race and Upper Race • Tintern Abbey • Tintern Parva • Tranch • Tredegar • Tredunnock • Tregare • Trellech • Trellech Grange • Trevethin • Treworgan • Trostrey • Undy • Upper Machen • Usk • Varteg • Victoria • Waunlwyd • Whitebrook • Whitson • Wilcrick • Wolvesnewton • Wonastow • Wyesham • Ynysddu
All images unless otherwise credited are © MonGenes and may not be reproduced without permission
© MonGenes 2013